Thursday, April 8, 2010

A or B

With another week of grad school down and another opportunity fast approaching it's time for a long over due update.

First off Grad school: I am enjoying myself throughly in school. I am making some awesome friends and actually learning some stuff!

My computer class (Monday nights) is really awesome and we just finished our online project (fitzmi71.wordpress.com if you're interested). I currently have an A in the class and it seems as though there is one big project left.

Tuesdays are a little more interesting and also my most disliked day. I head to campus around 330 for a class about assessment. We don't talk about the kinds of tests we give students but we talk about the different types of assessment, big A, little a, summative, etc. this class is pretty interesting a lot of good discussions and interesting new facts. I'm bordering on an A and A- with 3 more big projects/papers Then it's back home, for some food, to the FD for drills or meetings, then back home to change and head down to SOVAC for my 7 hours a week there.

Wednesdays is my elective class. Teaching Exceptional Students. It's a great class and I'm really enjoying it. We're doing some really interesting projects and learning some interesting things about history that I never knew and is pretty shocking. Currently I'm wrestling a B and trying to figure out how to make it an A. We'll see how that goes...

Thursdays is probably my worst favorite class. It's a class that focuses on research. I'm not a big fan of research in the classroom mostly because I don't have a classroom of my own to do research in. If I had my own classroom it would be more fun. We are trying to figure out what we are going to do research on and writing a proposal about this research we want to do so we can do the research next semester. I want to do research on how to improve self-esteem and encourage students to ask questions in class. We have discussions every week that focus on research. The good news is that I have an A, so far, in this class as well.

I am signed up for 3 math classes this summer since they aren't offering any in the spring, or the fall for 2010. It should be interesting!

Along with Grad school I'm also looking for a job, still. Monday there is a Teacher Recruitment Day and I'm going. I have sent an application to a school in Howard County, Maryland and I have received 2 emails from 2 different people making sure I am going to stop by their table for my preliminary interview. The one question that they both asked me was if I had any teaching experience. This gives me doubt, mostly because my answer is no. I have applied and applied for long term jobs, year long positions and I have yet to secure one. So it will be interesting to see how the interview goes. If the recruiter likes what I have to say I'll have to drive down to MD to see the school and have another interview with more important people.

I have also applied to Laurens Central School which is just outside of Oneonta. I did my observations for methods there and was hoping that was enough of an in and I would be able to get an interview and the job. The only problem is I haven't heard anything and when I called they said they haven't even looked at the applications yet. The paper also said that applications were due by June. So they are leaving it open until the end of the school year.

So 2 plans have developed.
Plan A: Get a job, somewhere. Take online classes and finish my masters...eventually.
Plan B: If I can't get a job I will stay in school full time and graduate in May 2011 with my masters and continue looking for a job.

so that's the update. Hopefully the next one will be with good news of great joy =)

No comments: