Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sunset on a beach...

Saturday July 17, 2010

I went off to NYC for a job interview for Charleston County SC. Sam stayed with my Dad at his house in Clinton and did some hard labor around the house and around the church. As I was getting out of my interview in NYC Sam was talking to my Dad, asking for his blessing on the two of us spending the rest of our lives together.

I got on a train and headed to New Haven where my Dad and Sam picked me up. We went to Pepe's Pizza for lunch then headed home. Around 730 or so I asked Sam if he wanted to go for a walk with me on the beach at sunset. He simply said "yes please." So we headed out of the house and down to the beach. We walked about half a mile to the beach with Sam complaining the whole way that it was further then he thought it was and that he was tired. I kept asking him if he wanted to go back and he simply said no. So we continued to the beach.

There's a nice gazebo with a nice view of the beach and the ocean with Osprey behind the gazebo. There was another couple there enjoying the view and the breeze. After a while they left and we were enjoying the view with hugs and loving looks. Another couple and a group of people came to the gazebo and we wondered further down the beach with a piggy back across the wet ground.


We found a nice dry spot and continued to look at the beautiful sunset till Sam looked at me and said "I was going to wait until next weekend but I can't pass up sunset on a beach." At that point he got down on one knee (in the sand) and said "Martha, will you marry me?" As ready for this moment as I was tears still came to my eyes, I smiled and said yes (which Sam later told me he couldn't hear over the sobs). It was romantic and spontaneous and fantastic.

The ring he gave me was my grandmother's ring. It means a lot to me to have this ring since I am named after her and I have always admired her and her relationship with my grandfather. I miss them both and I believe they are both smiling at Sam and myself and are very proud.

No comments: