Today I had my first day at my new job! I was told to show up before 8 to do paperwork. Since class started at 808 I figured it would be a good idea to get to school early so I could get to class and see the dynamics of the classroom. I got to school around 7:15 and I was told that the woman I needed to see wasn't in until 8. So I sat around for a while and waited until 8 rolled around. We got all of my paperwork done and met up with the teacher who was working in the computer lab with geometric sketchpad. It was interesting to see this 8th grade class work. Half of the students did not know what they were doing because they missed the directions.
In 3 of the other 4 classes it felt like the classes were out of control. Students were out of their seats, yelling, screaming, not paying attention, not doing their work, talking with friends, leaving the room for 5-10 minutes at a time, just chaos. I'm not really surprised that half of her students are failing. I have 2 tests and a quiz to grade already. It's going to be an interesting 3 weeks!
Come Monday there will be seating charts for each class, an agenda for each class, and a more structured classroom. A kitchen timer will be purchesed for assistance in this more structured class. Things that worked with my 7th graders are going to be implemented in a high school classroom. If this was my classroom I would be embarrassed to have someone come into the class and see it so disorganized. I hope I never turn into a teacher like this, if I do someone please hurt me.
No comments:
Post a Comment