The substitute position was quite a whirl wind of emotions. After the first few days a student told me that they didn't take notes in class. I asked what they did do in class and she told me that they do a warm up problem for half of the class then work on their homework. I was flabbergasted! What kind of teacher doesn't give notes. A few days later I learned that students used a note taking guide and that there were several examples in this note taking guide. So I created powerpoint presentations that went along with the note taking guide so I could write on the white board since there were no smartboards. Some of the students didn't like this and told me that the teacher just puts the note taking guide with the answers up on the ELMO so they can just copy down the answers. Another jaw dropping moment.
Several of the students enjoyed the way I taught and was happy that I was their teacher for 3 weeks. On my last day one of the classes was conspiring on how to get their current teacher fired so I could take over for her. I told them to convince her to retire. I asked all of the students to fill out a 3 question survey on my last day that asked them what they liked, didn't like, and how I could become a better teacher. I got some interesting answers. The three weeks I was a teacher was fantastic. It was everything I have been hoping for. Now I'm hoping that it is enough experience for me to get a job in the fall as a teacher, where ever I can find one.
No comments:
Post a Comment