That phrase comes from some students in my 4th hour class. My smallest class and probably my smartest class. Anyway, things have been very stressful and busy at school but today there was a situation in my first hour that got better when I called home to talk to parents.
We finished chapter 1 on Friday, reviewed on Monday and had a test today. My first hour class has 19 students in it and they are usually pretty well prepared and a few girls are pretty talkative. Today we had the chapter 1 test and two of the girls who are best friends and are the loudest in class sat next to each other. Normally I have them sitting across the room from each other, yet they still continue to yell across the room to each other and share their breakfast... anyway, they sat next to each other during the test which I figured was okay since they wouldn't be talking during the test. Instead of talking I watched the girls share their tests. I watched as one girl (G1) mouthed to the other girl (G2) "flip it over" and G2 obliged. I then told them to cut it out and G1 said "I was telling her to put her name on it." To me this meant that you were looking at her paper and you shouldn't be talking during a test anyway. I then walked over to G2 and put her paper under her binder because she was done and I didn't want to collect tests yet. She then moved her paper out from under her binder to let G1 look at it. I watched as G1 looked at G2's paper, several times. I walked over collected their tests and went about as if nothing was wrong.
After class I spoke with the aid that was in the class and told her about what I saw and asked her opinion on the subject. She agreed with me and said I should give both of the girls zeros. Mind you these are the two best students in that class (other than one boy who sits in the back and is bored out of his mind). Now my favorite part, calling home.
G2's parents were first on my list. Her parents said that it wasn't acceptable, please don't let them sit next to each other, and she will be bringing her own breakfast, along with she will be punished at home for cheating, and that giving her a zero is acceptable.
G1's parents did not answer the phone at first so I left a message, she called back left a message. The second time I called I got G1's mother. I told her about the situation and she told me that G1 called her and told her that I had suspected her of cheating and that she was not cheating. I was flabbergasted that this mom was taking her daughter's side! She told me that she was a good student (which I know), that she works hard (which shows in class), and that her grades mean everything to her. She also wanted an alternative punishment (other than the 0) and for me to make up another test to give to her daughter so that I know what she has learned. I probably spent at least 10 minutes on the phone with this woman explaining that I have a zero-tolerance policy for cheating in my class and that if students are caught cheating they will receive a zero.
So I'm sure tomorrow will be super exciting when the girls come to class after chatting with their parents about how they did on their test. Should be fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment