My school is having a 10th anniversary assembly of September 11, 2001 on Friday. I don't want to go. Some people might think it's rude or disrespectful that I don't want to remember what happened that day. This is what I remember...
I remember getting mono at the end of freshman year of high school. I remember not being able to go to Canoe Camp with friends. I remember going to Chicago with my mom and a bunch of her business partners. I remember sitting at a boring dinner and watched a CEO of a company get pied in the face.
I remember getting called to an assembly that morning after the second plane hit. I remember the look on my health teacher's face when she told me that her brother works at the pentagon. I remember my older sister walking into my Spanish classroom with tears in her eyes. I remember thinking that my mom was dead. I remember those business people from Chicago worked in the Twin Towers. I remember my mom telling me that she had meetings there. I remember my mom commuting through the Twin Towers.
I remember.
I remember that CEO who got pied at a conference in Chicago died that day. I remember that the pie incident was mentioned in his obituary. I remember listening to friends talk about loved ones who worked in the city. I remember my 9th period English teacher teaching, because "it happened this morning and you should be over it by now." I remember coming home and seeing my mom. I remember Nancy calling and asking if she was home.
I remember.
I remember attending Lt. Charles Garbarini's funeral at the Presbyterian church, where we stood outside in the rain listening to big black speakers because there was no room in the church. I remember visiting his sons around Christmas time.
I remember my dad going to help at a church near ground zero. I remember my friends from the fire department leaving to look for survivors. I remember my mom moving my senior year of high school. I remember moving to Missouri after graduating from high school, leaving so many friends behind. I remember every year how much my life changed that day.
September 11, 2001 is a day I will always remember, but try so hard to forget. I honor everyone of those brave firefighters, police officers, and EMS personnel that gave their lives for others. I morn for those who lost their lives that day, but don't tell me to never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment