Monday, February 13, 2012

Nice words

On Friday I was talking to my assistant principal and he had mentioned what a good job I was doing with my AIMS prep students. (The students who haven't passed their state math test in order to graduate) 90% of my students are seniors who have not passed this test and it has been very frustrating to help these students because they do not like math or standardized tests. Last semester I had 15 students and 6 of them passed the last test. This semester we have been taking practice ACTs since a 16 or better waives their state test requirement. I asked the students to describe the class to a friend. (I was hoping for something to put into the course description for next year) These were some of the responses:

"It is a wonderland of magnificent learning. You experience everything you will need to learn to pass the ACT or AIMS. Just need to pay attention and listen to Mrs. Fitz"

"This class has a great atmosphere. This class is hard but I learn something new everyday."

"This is the funnest class! Just as long as you get on her good side. She is one of the best teachers in the school!"

"I would say I like this class and the teacher but I just don't like math. You teach it really well. So I will tell my friends to take it because it helped me with my math. But I do not like math I like the teacher though."

"I learn math and I have a wonderful teacher who loves to help kids learn and pass the tests. I would also tell them to take all the tests because they will help."

"This class is an easy math credit with a pretty much guaranteed chance of passing the AIMS"

"In my opinion of your class: you need to work hard and understand the work. This class will help you graduate and move on."

At least some of the students know I care and want them to graduate! 5 out of my 20 students took the ACT this past Saturday and they feel confident about the test. They need about 20/60 questions right in order to waive their AIMS requirement. It's been a stressful time for me, I can only imagine what the students are going through!

No comments: