- "tell us a little about yourself" I explained that I just graduated and I had a lot of fun at SUCO over the past 4.5 years. I told them about becoming and EMT and working with CMT and that meant that I was always on my toes and that I'm calm and cool under pressure. It seemed to impress them a little
- Have you worked with the block schedule (80 min) classes? When I told them I had they asked me how I structured my classes. So I told them that I start class with a Do Now go over the do now and the homework and that would help me assess how they did on the homework and how their understanding of yesterday's lesson went, if I had to re-teach the lesson from the day before or if I could continue on to the days lesson. After homework I would go into the lesson then move onto homework if time permitted.
- have you had any experience with special needs/ed students? When I told them that I had the experience with Mrs. L. at Golding Middle School they seemed interested. There is a TA in one of the classes that helps with all of the special ed students and they seemed a little impressed that I had that experience.
- We got into discussing something (i don't remember what) but I ended up pulling out my portfolio and I showed my unit on Logic (that I had just put in last night :x ) so after the head of the math department looked at my portfolio he handed it to the teacher I would be subbing for and she looked through it then gave it to the assistant principal and he started flipping through. He started reading my philosophy of education and in my philosophy I have written that I want to make math fun and help my students find themselves. He asked me what I meant by that and how I would do that. I told him that I would want to get to know my students and be able to relate math to what they do outside of the classroom. I used skateboarding and basketball as examples: How do you build a half pipe or a ramp what kind of angles do you use? then get into construction. Then I went into basketball and said "what if your taking a jump shot from a 30 degree angle from the three point line, what's the probability of you making that shot?" They kind of laughed and thought it was a good idea.
- what would you do with a struggling student? and how would you tell if they were struggling? I would be able to tell from homework, classwork, if a student was just zoned out in class, not participating in class. first I would talk to the student see if something is wrong, if they are having trouble learning from me, if they are having trouble at home, with a friend. If talking with the student doesn't help I'd talk to some of the other teachers to see if they have any input, if that doesn't work extra help, working with the student, if that doesn't work talk with the parents and anyone else who is willing to help out.
- what would you do with a student who wasn't cooperating in class? This was close to the other question but I started the same way. Talk to the student to find out what's going on, having trouble seeing, hearing, sitting next to a friend or romantic interest, if they are bored, if there is trouble at home, try and find out what is the source behind the problem of focus is. If that doesn't work talk to the head of the department, the principal, whoever is in charge of discipline, bring the parents in and try to get to the root of the problem.
- what if you are planning for a lesson and don't remember how to do something, what would you do? I would look through the text book, look through a few of the examples and try to work through them seeing if I get the same answer the book does. If I still have trouble I might google it, and I will ask other teachers or the head of the department or anyone else who is willing to help. I will definitely ask for help if I can't figure it out on my own.
there were other questions but I can't think of them right now and these were pretty much the basics. It went well overall and I should hear back by the end of the week if they want me to come back for the second round of interviews which they are hoping will take place next week since the teacher will be out on the 3rd of march. So keep your fingers crossed!!
No comments:
Post a Comment