The call finally came, around 3 o'clock on Tuesday. The principal of Show Low High School called me and offered me the job at Show Low High School. He said that I need to have an interview with the superintendent to set a contract, I need to be board approved and get my Arizona state certificate, but it shouldn't be a problem. The principal kept thinking that all of this wouldn't be a problem and that I should be able to get approved by the board and get my cert no problem.
Now we have to figure out how to get out there and where to live. The principal said that I might be teaching 2 college algebra classes and 3 algebra classes. Which is pretty exciting!
Show Low is a very interesting city. It was named for a card game: According to the legend, the city was named after a marathon poker game between C.E. Cooley and Marion Clark. The two men decided there was not enough room for both of them in their settlement. The two men agreed to let a game of cards decide who was to move. According to the tale, Clark said, "If you can show low, you win." Cooley turned up the deuce of clubs (the lowest possible card) and replied, "Show low it is." The stakes were a 100,000-acre (400 km²) ranch. Show Low's main street is named "Deuce of Clubs" in remembrance.
As always more to follow!
No comments:
Post a Comment