Wednesday (10/15) We started off class with me reading the plus questions, twice and only twice, to the students. I did it this way today because there is a verbal part on the state math exam, plus it was fun and it got the students to pay attention right from the start. We reviewed PEMDAS, substitution, expressions, and equations. I had students answer questions instead of me just telling them what they were. After review for the quiz they had on Thursday we did an activity that we called "Doggles" this activity was to help the students work backwards on word problems. Once they started they figured out that they couldn't start at the beginning and had to start from the end and go back day by day. When I looked at the worksheet I used my algebra to help me get the right answers then realized I couldn't do that with my students because we hadn't learned that yet...
Thursday we reviewed the homework from the night before which was a practice quiz for the quiz that they had today. The homework (practice quiz) was very similar to the actual quiz which helped some students, mostly the students who did their homework the night before or tried to actually do the work.
Friday we moved onto solving equations. We started with adding and subtracting to start off easy. Some kids didn't want to show the work, others had trouble knowing how to do them with the adding and subtracting and with identifying the opposites. Some students had trouble realizing that if there is a minus sign: x - 9 = 12, that they have to add a 9 instead of subtracting a 9. I think that once they start pairing up the numbers with the sign in front of it they will be okay. Some of them are still doing "leave change opposite" which is okay as long as they realize they need to do the same to the other side so instead of adding a 9 they have to subtract a -9 on both sides which just means they have to add, more complicated if you ask me.
Monday, we moved onto solving equations with multiplying and dividing. The students really picked up on this. We went over the opposite operations of multiplication and division. We spent about 25 minutes going over homework and plus questions, which was okay because sometimes the homework is the important part. Especially for this section. If the students are having trouble with identifying opposites or understanding the process we wanted them to use they might have had trouble moving onto multiplication and division. Most of the students got it and had some practice with classwork and homework.
Since Tuesday was my last day we had a "chill" day. Mr. B. brought in doughnuts and milk during advisory. One of my students had gone to Mrs. T's room and brought back a poster sized card that they had all signed saying goodbye and thank you. In study hall two of the girls made a card saying thank you and that they weren't going to survive math class without me. Through out the periods students would come up to me and tell me that they were going to miss me or how could I leave, or that I should just take Mr. B's job or Mr. V's job (the 8th grade math teacher) or that I should teach in the high school. The kids were awesome and my team was pretty cool too. They all signed a card and Mrs. L. gave me a little book and a fun pen that will definitely brighten those bad days. Mr. B. got me a poster, some stickers (!!!!) and a book called apples and chalkdust which are inspirational stories for all 180 days of the school year. I found this awesome glass sculpture of a ruler that says "Teachers Rule" with an apple on top of it, that was Mr. B's thank you gift along with thank you cards that were dropped in the mail on my way out of town.
I had an awesome time at CRCS and I will never forget the students or the teachers that helped me out there. Thanks so much CRCS!!!
Onto seminar Thurs and Fri then the high school on Monday... Geometry 1, Algebra 2, 8th grade AIS, a study lab that will become regents review, and of course Pre-calc! It should be a good time. I met my teacher this summer and she seems pretty laid back and relaxed so let's see how these 8 weeks go!!
1 comment:
Sounds as though the experience was rewarding and that you made a contribution to the students learning. Way to go! On to High School!
Craig
Post a Comment