Monday, October 27, 2008

High school

So today was my first day of high school at Unadilla Valley Central School and it was...well... interesting to say the least. 

It's about a half hour to 40 minute drive, but the drive goes by so much faster since it's up over the back county roads, the roads I love driving and have driven several times in the ambulance so I know the roads pretty well. The school was redone over the summer so my teacher's room was moved and I couldn't remember for the life of me where her room was. I did find the pool though! I went into the office and someone was kind enough to show me her room and open the door for me since she wasn't there yet. I got to school around 7:17 after freaking out that I was going to get lost or be late, it took me about half an hour to get there this am. It helps when you know where you're going... My teacher arrived at school around 7:40ish and we proceeded to the Math department meeting in one of the 8th grade classrooms. Then the bell for period 1 rang and this is the schedule for the day:

Breakfast 8:00 - 8:15
Period 1 8:15 - 9:34 Geometry I
Period 2 9:38 - 10:56 8th Grade AIS/Prep
Period 3 11:01 - 12:20 Algebra II
Lunch 12:25 - 1:03
Study Lab 1:05 - 1:45 Extra help/Regents Review
Period 4 1:50 - 3:05 Pre Calc

Geometry wasn't too bad they had a review sheet since they have a unit test on probability tomorrow. Which hopefully won't be too bad. so here's the run down for Geometry. Pass back work during announcements. Go over homework, passed out red pens to grade papers. Students grade their own work after questions are read students have the opportunity to ask questions. After students questions are answered students pass their homework to the front of the room to be collected and graded. Passed out review sheet for test tomorrow. Students were instructed to work by themselves for 12 minutes during those 12 minutes my teacher wrote 1-9 on the board, After the 12 minutes students were asked to come to the board and put up their work and answers. Students got extra class participation points for coming up to the board. Students kept working by themselves after going over the first few problems on the board. All of the problems were worked out except for the last 3. The last 3 problems were to be complete for homework.

My cooperating teacher Mrs. G. has a color coded system for papers that are handed out to the students:
Notes: Yellow
Quiz: Ivory
Homework: Goldenrod 
Review Sheet: Pink
Test: White
Regents Review: Purple

Period 2 we went upstairs to the 8th grade math classroom and help students with their work. We were working on solving equations, mostly percentages and interest. After about 20 minutes the 8th grade period ended and we went back to our room for planning. We talked a little then worked on answer keys for the test today and tomorrow.

Period 3 reviewed homework, gave instructions for the test. The students had to change #12 from perimeter to area, the last question was a bonus question and the students weren't allowed to hand in the test till at least noon. After they finished the test students were to work on a regents review sheet that will be reviewed tomorrow.

During lunch Mrs. G. had a doctor's appointment so she left during lunch. 

Study lab was pretty good. Students sat around doing work, mostly talking, doing some work.

Pre Calc was another story. The sub took attendance then I tried to teach graphing asymptotes which I haven't done in a really long time so that was fun. I pretty much knew what I was doing but i definitely jumped into the deep end on that one. 

Over all it was a pretty good day. I'm not sure how I like having 3 different periods and 3 preps. I might start teaching geometry on wednesday, when we start the new unit... here we go again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like high school will keep you busy!

Anonymous said...

So do you miss us yet? Do you at least miss having one prep?!

Question... do you have the same classes everyday? It seems as though you're on a block schedule of some sort.