Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Speed for Lunch?

So today didn't start off too bad but ended up being a very exhausting day. In advisory we played a quick get to know you game which everyone was pretty awesome. 
Today I got to teach all 5 periods...

Third period was great the kids were answering questions getting the material. We reviewed subtracting integers we used the "Keep Change Opposite" rule and it worked really well for the kids. 

Forth period was also pretty good. The kids were harder to get answers out of but they got the materials pretty quickly.
Seventh period is the advanced class and they were a little chatty but did all their work and it seemed that everyone was ok with keep change opposite.

Eighth period I thought I was going to loose it. Apparently the kids ran a mile in gym and half of them were exhausted and didn't want to do anything and the other half wouldn't come off the celling. We worked on a worksheet that they were to finish for homework. I got through the lesson ok, then it came to working on the work sheet and they just wouldn't stop talking. I told them at least 4 times to stop talking, I even said it nicely the first few times. Then after someone asked me a question everyone started talking again. At that point Mr. B got upset (as was I) and said "Are you kidding me! Ms. Fitzsimmons just ask you 4 times to be quiet. Seriously?!" They were quiet for about 30 seconds then they started talking again.
So we talked a little bit after class about what to do differently. I was expecting to be able to come home, think about what went wrong and what I can do that fits my personality to help fix it. Well I was wrong...

Tenth period was just as bad if not worse. Right from the start they wouldn't stop talking. They were having trouble with the material and wouldn't listen to me when I tried to explain it, they would just complain or talk about other stuff. I already had a short fuse from period 8 that I was done before they even started. I was so angry. Mr. B. had left the room to take care of someone who had missed class because she had lessons or something along those lines. So a few of the kids could tell that I was upset and were trying to help quite the class down which I was helpful for. One of the girls in the back of the class yelled at her classmate saying "you wouldn't be doing this if Mr. B was here so why are you doing it to her." It made me smile inside that she was on my side, but it's that whole classroom management thing that i still need to work on. Later on one of the boys said "You're treating her the way we treat subs, and she's not a sub, she's our teacher." That was another inside smile. 10th period we didn't get any work on the worksheet done which wasn't exactly good considering the other classes got through at least half the problems and some kids even finished the worksheet. So it was a stressful end to the day. It's the classroom management that I have trouble with. Mr. B thinks I just have to blow up at the class then turn around and be happy go lucky again. So I just have to get really pissed off and yell at the classes. 

So we'll see how Math-O goes tomorrow...

Open house wasn't too bad. I felt more like a room decoration then a teacher. But I understand. Some parents came up to me and said things along the lines of "You must be the student teacher my [insert kid's name] says your a really nice lady" which just proves the point where I have to get mean... but it's nice to know that most of the kids like me, now I just have to get them to want to please me. One of the other math teachers told me that I had to fake being mean when I told him I wasn't a mean person. 

what a day... i don't want to be sick for 3 days ever again....

No comments: