Monday, March 30, 2009

You want me to do what...?

After the interview and the drug test I received a letter telling me I needed a physical and a physical fitness test. I already had a physical for the fire department so I needed to get the results faxed over to the office which I did today.

I didn't ask what was involved in the physical fitness test so I was nervous and worried that this was going to be the one thing that would stop me from getting the job. I went to the facility today (Physical Therapy PLUS). Started with the routine checking of the blood pressure (120/62) and pulse (95... i was a little nervous). Then he checked my neck, made me look down, then up, left, then right. Raise my hands up over my head then put them behind my back. Squat then stand back up. Kneel on one knee, then both, then the other knee then stand back up. Then he got a box...

61723l.jpg 

in this box he placed 50 pounds and made me pick it up by the top handles and place it on a shelf that was about the same hight as my waist then place it back on the floor. Easy. He added another 25 pounds and had me repeat the lifting and placing the box on the shelf. A little harder but still easy. Then he added another 25 pounds...the big whopper 100 pounds... I picked up the box and placed it on the shelf. There was a second shelf 2-3 inches higher right next to the shelf that the box was currently on, I had to pick the box up using the lower handles and place it on the other shelf then back to the floor. 


Next we went out into the hall and he placed weights on a sled that looked like this.

012810_p83B_230.jpg

I think there was 75 pounds in the sled I had to push it across the room then pull it back across the room. I had to carry a 35 pound dumb bell across the room (again) in one hand, switch hands then walk back across the room. After that I had to get on a treadmill and walk for 4 minutes at 2.5 mphs on a 5% incline. After that he took my pulse and told me I was good. 


The job starts next Monday and I'm looking forward to it. 


On the teaching front I subbed last wednesday and thursday in the middle school and I remembered why I wanted to teach high school. Wednesday I was a 6th grade english teacher helping with research then I was helping out with Reading AIS. Thursday I was a 7th grade English teacher and that was a pain. Students would not listen to what I had to say and didn't want to do the work. Things got better as the day went on (cuz that's how teaching always is). I'm headed into the high school on thursday to teach social studies. It should be interesting!

No comments: