Thursday, August 11, 2011

Day 2

Another day down. The day started off great. We went over fire drill procedures, reviewed the math section in the student handbook, and the students took a pretest that they will get homework credit for. Some of the students seemed to do really well on the pretest and others really seemed to struggle so it's going to be a fight throughout the year to get everyone where they need to be.

Yesterday they canceled my 5th period class. This morning I checked my schedule and there was still nothing about a new class or anything else going on 5th period. So 5th period today I had 3 students show up and I thought they were in the college algebra class that got canceled, so I sent them down to the counselor 's office because that's what I did yesterday with the students who didn't get a schedule change. The counselor sent them back to me saying that the class wasn't canceled. I called the main office and the secretary was busy, the assistant principal walked past my room and I got his attention and he said, just email the counselor, and keep the students here for the hour.

I emailed the counselor and he told me that they created a new class called Algebra 1 prep and started filling it with students. The only problem is no one told me. So I had 3 seniors sitting in my class doing nothing because I didn't know I had a class so I didn't have anything planned! It was a little aggravating but we're gonna make it work.

My CAP class was a little more interesting. I gave these students a pretest as well and everyone just stared at me like I had 4 heads. So instead of taking the pretest I taught Monday's lesson, which wasn't perfected, but it worked.

All in all it wasn't a bad day, just a little frustrating. Tomorrow is another day, and Friday!

No comments: