So the first day of school wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I talked with someone yesterday about what they were doing today and they said that we would just have time to go over our syllabus and then the time would be gone. So I planned on getting students information using the index cards then going over the syllabus. After completing these I realized I still had about half an hour left in the class period. I had printed out and made copies of textbook scavenger hunts that I had planned on doing tomorrow, but I'm glad I had them to do today. The scavenger hunts asked students to flip through their textbook and find things like new vocabulary words, key concepts, study tips. Hopefully this will help students learn how to use their textbook and that will help them learn.
Right now I have 4 classes instead of 5. One of my College Algebra Prep class was canceled, two students showed up for this canceled class and didn't come back for my 6th period CAP. Some of the students got upset that this class was not for college credit so I told them if they wanted college credit they needed to take the compass exam at the college in order for college credit. Also I can't give students college credit because I'm not certified through the college, which we are going to fix ASAP!
We are still working on what is going to be happening with my 5th period class. I might get an AIMS Prep, which will focus on getting students prepared for the state test. One of the other math teachers is split between social studies and AIMS prep, so they are thinking of giving me the AIMS prep and having her do another world history since she has 38 kids in one of her classes!
I did have 4 students show up for my 2nd period class that were not on my roster and 7 students that didn't show up. I did have 1 empty desk so it might get interesting over the next few days while the counseling office works things out. Hopefully a bunch of students ended up moving out of that class and into my 3rd period class since there are only 13 students in that class.
Tomorrow is another day!
No comments:
Post a Comment